Sunday 3 October 2010

Getting through the mental barriers...

It's been about three weeks now since my last post and I've finally started to feel like I am making some progress, after a couple of false starts. I can now run my route once without stopping every time (which to a real runner may be a small thing, but to me is progress!) and tonight, for the first time, I saw the finish line of the route approaching and thought "you know what? I can keep going. Let's keep going!". So we carried on for another few minutes before a little walk and then ran the rest.

My pace was a bit quicker tonight too, averaging about 10km an hour, which I think is pretty decent. I also noticed that I very quickly got into a normal breathing rhythm that felt comfortable and sustainable. The usual struggling to breathe and painful throat/windpipe/chest was gone. It still feels like I'm breathing hard, but I don't feel like I'm fighting for each breath. It was something of a revelation :-)

Anyone who is anything of a runner will now laugh when I say how long I ran - It was 2 and a half kilometres. Not far, I know, but it's already noticeable how much easier it's becoming and I'm only in week 2 of what I consider "proper training", which means running every other day. I feel good about that and I feel like the goal is now looking far more achievable. Hoorah!

The next step is getting back to the gym and strengthening everything. My breathing may be easier, but I need to make sure my body is strong enough to keep going. Having had a lifetime of bad knees, back ache, incorrectly moving shoulder blades and trapped nerves, it's been surprisingly pain free on my body so far, which I am both glad and relieved about. Now I need to make sure I give my body as much help as I can to keep going as the distance increases, because I really need to start ramping it up now if I want to get those long distances.

All in all, tonight has been a really positive run and I'm looking forward to another!

Just a reminder if you want to sponsor me: http://www.justgiving.com/cassieleedham

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like it's going well Cass! I started running again about this time last year, so I recognise what you say in your blog. My only advice would be to build up *really* slowly - if you push yourself too quickly that's when you'll aggravate dodgy knees etc.
    10k's enough for me, although a half marathon is tempting...

    Gaz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Gaz! And thanks for the advice. I will be careful with the building up - I am following a programme designed to get me race ready on time, so I should be ok :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. woohooo!! so proud of you sweets! keep going, you can do it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Abi :D Wish we could run together x

    ReplyDelete