Thursday 7 October 2010

Best run yet!

I managed to drag my broken self out tonight (mostly thanks to Ed, who encouraged me- thanks Ed) and decided to take a slightly different, longer run. It started out ok; my hip was sore still, but not enough to stop me or slow me down, just enough to be a bit distracting.

I really quickly fell into a comfortable breathing rhythm again and kept it up all the way round my regular route, then past it, and further than I've ever been without stopping! At this point, my breathing had become so comfortable that I was barely even breathing hard.

The thing that got me in the end was stomach cramps. (It's weird thing and I'd love some advice if anyone has any - I'll detail this more in a minute!) So I slowed down to a walk for a minute and then ran again and managed to run all the way back down throughout the final third of the run.

I felt great at the end and not too tired or out of breath. My legs were a little weary, but not too bad and no worse than usual really. I am totally blown away that the improvement is so noticeable and so fast. I really didn't expect this! Running for 2 hours is starting to seem like something I could definitely do and I really never expected to be saying that.

So, I felt pretty good, but then the stomach cramps became unbearably painful, so much so that they made me feel queasy and much to my surprise I was even a bit sick and said hello to a bit of my dinner again! (Sorry if that grosses anyone out!)

I ate dinner at about 7.15 and didn't run til about 9.45, and dinner was wholemeal spaghetti with vegetables and tomato/chili sauce. Did I not leave it long enough? Could it be that I ate too much? I've  been eating pretty small portions recently and tonight's dinner was a little more than I've had in the last week or so.

Any advice anyone can offer me would be great. The stomach cramps have lessened now, but they were really terrible for about 20 minutes after the run. All in all, the stomach pain hasn't reduced the great feeling of achievement I have after tonight's run. Onwards and upwards!

Cass x

2 comments:

  1. Cassie I think what you're doing is fantastic.

    I don't run but I have managed to cycle for an hour or so on many occasions at a regular high speed. The one thing I would say (since I've had the queezy feeling is) do you actually drink water during the time you run?

    I know a lot of people don't but for me personally I need to drink water during any vigorous work out. You can get the quick hydro pouches that fit in your pocket. They have some extra ingredients in to boost your energy too.

    I never eat a full meal before an exercise.


    Generally some fruit or a boiled egg. Protein before and after (after within 20 mins) helps your body recover.

    I'm not an expert but this all works for me - try it and see.
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much V! Will stock up on protein to keep for when I get back :-) x

    ReplyDelete